Saturday, May 2, 2009

Edinburgh Great Run feat. Micah Kogo and Bernard Kipyego: friends, opponents and future marathonstars?



10k world best holder Micah Kogo will take on defending champ Bernard Kipyego at Sunday's Edinburgh Great Run 10k. It was this March when Kogo pushed Haile G from the top, taking a second off the former world best holder by running a blistering 27:01min. 10k. We are quite certain that this mark will survive the battle in Scot's capital, given the not-so-easy course and the to be expected Scotslike weather conditions. Nonetheless, the two will make for an exciting race and rest assured that there will be more contenders in the mix given the Great Runs profile (and cheque writing).

Micah's record, run in the Netherlands, was long due given that he is one of the better 10,000m runners that actually excel on the tarmac as well. His 26:34 from Brussels 2007 stands as sixth fastest time ever. "It will not be easy and the problem could be the weather conditions. We'll try to push it and see how fast we can run but nothing can promised," said Kogo. "It's my first time in Edinburgh, but it's not my first time in UK. I've been competing in Manchester and in the 10,000m in London. On Sunday, I have to do my best to take the title from Bernard. He is a strong man. He normally trains hard in Kenya and he's my friend, but I know when we go to the field, we shall fight to see who will win the race."

Kipyego took the distance one step further this spring, running a 58:34 at the Berlin half, the fastest half marathon debut in history. "For sure I want to win this time around again and I feel I am in better shape than last year. With my friend Kogo, I think we can push for a very fast time. I just want to win again."

mzungo.org says: Watch this space for Edinburgh results and then remember the names of Micah Kogo and Bernard Kipyego. Anything but super strong performances in marathons from these two as early as 2011 would be a surprise.
 
ShareThis