Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Kigen: "A Kenyan goes 2:02 in the next three years"

Who is surprised by that opinion? Well, I for one am. In three years only?
But Wilfred has been around the block and surely knows the business better than most. So I really value his opinion. Apparently, he was limping after finishing second at last Sunday's Dusseldorf Marathon where his calf injury broke up again which he sustained around 35 k. He still ran 2:11:30 - and finished!
"For sure this is a fast course and I would have easily run sub 2:10 if I had not got the injury. I had to be careful in the final stages otherwise I might not have been able to finish the race. I think we will see a 2:02 marathon by a Kenyan in maybe three years time," said Wilfred Kigen, who himself believes he can improve his personal best of 2:07:33 to around 2:06.

mzungo.org says: Wilfred is the model modest Kenyan. Always humble but very serious about his job. We wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to his return this fall. Frankfurt or NYC, Wilfred?
 
ShareThis