Friday, August 21, 2009

Mark Tucker: "Road racing in Australia is quite healthy at the moment"

Runners's Tribe: You've come a world away from when you decided to run the Canberra marathon and 50k, and a marathoner was born. Do you think you've finally found your distance?

Mark Tucker: Well, so far it has been almost ideal with my progression in the event and the way I have finished off each one of my Marathons strongly and feeling good. From that I would say my body and mind can handle the distance fairly well, although I have only done 3, so I'm hesitant about saying anymore than that as it is a tough event and can easily make a fool of you. If you had said a few years ago that i would have completed 3 marathons with solid performances in each I would have been quite surprised as I felt in training that I was very average in the longer work compared to some of the other guys I have trained with over the years, but that's the beauty of the marathon - it's a different world as they say!

RT: How different have you found marathon running to the track running you were doing before, in terms of the way you approach it?

MT: Not a whole lot different to be honest. In regards to training my mileage has only slightly increased, with consistent 2 hour runs on a Sunday, a longer threshold on Saturday and a longer run on Wednesday being the main differences compared to when I was focused on track. At first I avoided doing any track sessions but now I enjoy doing it once a week (most weeks) for a change - it's also a good chance to train with my squad (Coached by Bruce Scriven) and get some good quality faster paced running in. I am also racing a lot less than I used to but that doesn't have a whole lot to do with my change in events - It's more a change in my outlook on running and life - I just don't enjoy or feel a need to race almost every weekend like I used to when I was younger.

RT: What is it you love about marathon running, what is it that made you change your mind about retiring?

MT: Firstly, doing well (or well enough to justify continuing) in the event is the only reason I am still running - if I had struggled at Canberra I wouldn't have wasted my time and energy as it can be a large commitment to train twice a day for little reward - especially after 13 years in the sport where the big results had not been achieved. Having said that I am enjoying the training and racing aspect of being a marathoner compared to the grind of the track. It's great that you can just prepare for one event and not have to think about a series of track races chasing times (and sometimes your tail) and running in heats and going from hotel to hotel in Europe and so on. The marathon seems to have a special feel about it - a real atmosphere at each event which I have enjoyed so far. It's a really good feeling having finished a marathon and knowing that you have competed hard and well - it's also a rare time where the bodily pain is very welcome and even pleasant! And as a bonus you can have a week or so off afterwards and relax without a bit of guilt!

RT: What are your goals for the World Champs in Berlin this year?

MT: My first goal is simply to get to the start line fresh and ready to go. After that i just want to put myself in a position where I can get the highest placing I can possibly get. I am not concerned about the time at all. There are more variables in the marathon compared to any other event so it is a tough one to predict.

RT: You won Sandown and Launceston 10km recently, do you think you're the form athlete on the roads?

MT: I wouldn't say I am the form athlete but I was happy with how I ran at Sandown and Launceston and couldn't have asked for much more leading into Berlin. Obviously guys such as Birmingham, Shelley and Mottram were missing so that makes a difference! Road racing in Australia is quite healthy at the moment as you can line up at the start of one of the bigger races and there is really no clear favourite - 3 or 4 guys all have a legitimate shot at the win on their day. However, Shelley and Dent have been very impressive on the roads of late and are always tough to beat.

RT: How fast do you think you can go in the marathon? And what about some of the other distances, 10000m and half marathon, is it time to reset your PBs over those distances?

MT: Again, distance running, let alone marathon running, can be hard to predict and I am hesitant in publicly stating any time related goals. Of course I think I have it in me to go faster than my current best time but who cares what I say - action is what it is all about - talking alot about times and events that haven't happened is not really my thing. My 10,000m and half marathon best times are weak but they are not my focus so not too concerned about them. My half marathon time is the most likely one to be beaten.

RT: What's your longer term goals in the long distances?

SF: Basically, all I am thinking about at the moment is the marathon and trying to create and grab any opportunities in the event that present themselves. I'm not getting ahead of myself and just being grateful for what it has given me so far.

RT: What's your training like? Can you give us a typical week's training?

SF: My philosophy on training at present is to keep relaxed, get it done and not to think about it too much. I never aim for going super hard and don't care if I happen to be 50 metres behind one of my training partners in one of the sessions - I go by feel. A typical week consists of long repetitions on a Tuesday, 90 minute run on a Wednesday, track session on a Thursday, a 30 minute threshold on a Saturday and a 2 hour run on a Sunday. The rest of my runs are short to medium in distance (8 to 15km), with Wednesday mornings and Sunday afternoons total rest.

RT: Thanks Mark! Best of luck on the roads in Berlin!
 
ShareThis