Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mountain Runner Megan Lund: "Running is so clarifying and gives me a chance to think and tap into my creative side."

Five of the ten person Teva Mountain Running Team representing the USA at the 25th World Mountain Running Championships in Campodolcino, Italy on Sept 6th are from Colorado. 25-year-old Megan Lund is a first year team member from Basalt, CO. She was second overall at the Cheyenne Canon Mountain Race on July 26 to receive an automoatic berth.

1. How long have you been a runner? How and when did you get started?

I ran my first race when I was 5, but started consistently running and competing in middle school. My parents are both runners so my sisters and I grew up watching them race. Most vacations we took even revolved around running a 5k or half marathon! ;) My parents really motivated me to run and naturally, I fell in love with it.


2. What is your typical training week like? Is this something you do full time or do you have to balance a job as well? Do you have a coach?

Throughout the summer, my training has consisted mainly of long runs, hilly thresholds, hill repeats and easy training runs. I also incorporate strides, drills and core-strengthening exercises a few days/week. I'm probably running between 75-85 miles/week. Unfortunately, running isn't a money-maker, so another job is a must for me. I started my own running and fitness coaching business, "Hit the Ground Running". I love coaching! It's so rewarding to work with athletes and watch them improve. Currently, I am self-coached, but in the process of finding someone who shares a similar training philosophy. I'd rather have someone tell me what to do!

3. What are your three favorite trails in Colorado?

I live in the most beautiful place in Colorado, so it's hard to pick just three! My favorite trail is Hay Park above Carbondale. It's covered in purple lupines in the summer! I also love the Conundrum Hot Springs Trail and Buckskin Pass.

4. This is your first time as a member of the Teva team. What does it mean to you as an athlete to represent the US and to make the team? Have you tried to make the team previously?

This year is my debut year at mountain running. I've always been a better uphill runner than a track star, I knew this was the next step for me. I love the hills! I'm so excited to be on the US Mountain Running Team. Making the team is a huge honor and was the goal I had set for myself at the beginning of the summer. I knew it wasn't going to be a walk-in-the-park knowing the caliber of talented women I was competing with for a spot on the team. It's a really awesome feeling knowing I'm among the best mountain runners in the country. It gives me a lot of confidence that I can be competitive at the World Championships. I can't wait for Italy!

5. What are some special things you do to make sure your in peak shape when racing? (Thing diet, massage, health products you use at home etc).

I'm a stickler on refueling post-run...just ask my clients! I try to get in a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein within 30 minutes of a workout. It's so important to recharge your system with glucose for instant energy and protein for rebuilding muscle tissue. For me, it usually involves ending my workout at the Canteen Coffeehouse in Basalt so I can suck down an extra hot, skinny mocha--gotta love those quick carbs! ;) Then I go sit in the river to ice my legs--hence the extra hot mocha!

I am so blessed to receive sponsorship from the WIN Health Institute in Basalt. It's one of the best health and wellness centers in the country and they provide endless support to my running career. I'm in there about 3 times a week getting massages and AIS stretching.

6. What is your favorite part about running?


I love the way running make me feel. It's so clarifying and gives me a chance to think and tap into my creative side. I also love that you can do it just about anywhere!

7. How did the Cheyenne Canon race go for you?

Cheyenne Canon was awesome! I knew I was going to have to run really fast to qualify for the team. I ran mentally tough and when I passed anyone, I passed them hard so I knew they wouldn't come back. I feel like I finally ran the type of race I know I'm capable of in the mountains. It was a great feeling crossing the finishline knowing my next big race was going to be in Europe!

8. Any advice for newer trail runners or those trying out their first race?

Don't look down so much--I often forget to look around when I'm running trails. You don't want to miss the reason you're out there!

9. What is your favorite trail distance and why?

I haven't done many trail races and all of them have been under 8 miles, but in general, the longer the race, the better I do!

10. Anything else you want to add?


I am on the cover of the July/Aug issue of Trail Runner Magazine. Starting my coaching company, "Hit the Ground Running" has been so rewarding! Not only do I love working with people and watching them improve, the whole environment is really conducive to training and racing. I have the flexibility to set my own schedule, work with clients in really cool places, and I don't have to sit at a desk all day! I'm really excited to start working with more new clients. For more information, e-mail me at megan@hgrunning.com or check out my website www.hgrunning.com. See my ad in Trail Runner Magazine too!
I'm also running the Twin Cities Marathon in October. My goal is to qualify for the Olympic Marathon Trials again. I think training for the World Mountain Running Championships will really help my marathon. I'll be really strong and ready to go come October.

THX to Courtney Johnson for this!
 
ShareThis