Sunday, September 20, 2009

Haile 2:06:08 (30k WR @ 1:27:44) - Jamaica DNF

BERLIN — World marathon record-holder Haile Gebrselassie won the Berlin marathon for the fourth time on Sunday in an official time of 2 hours 6min 08sec, but missed out on a new world record.

The 36-year-old smashed his own record here at last year's race when he ran 2hr 03min 59sec but admitted struggling during the last few kilometres in Sunday's warm weather which ruled out any chance of a new global mark.

Kenya's Francis Kiprop came second in a time of 2:07:04 and Ethiopia's Negari Terfa was third in 2:07:41, while the women's race was won by Ethiopia's Atsede Habtamu Besuye in a time of 2:24:47.

"I'm ok, but the last few kilometres were very hard," said Gebrselassie after leading from the front all the way around the 42-kilometre course through the German capital, but missed out on setting a third world record. I was really tired at the 30km mark and gave too much at the beginning. I expected more from my opponents, but I just made sure I ran my best. I am happy, it's a win for the fourth time, but the last kilometres were really hard. It was warm out there, not really marathon weather.
It was too hot for a new world record, but I am happy with the time, it's fine."

Kenya's Duncan Kibet, who has run the fastest time in the world this year of 2:04:27, had to pull out of the race after 16 kilometres.

Gebrselassie picks up the winners check of 80,000 euros on top of his appearance fee of 250,000 euros.
 
ShareThis