Saturday, January 30, 2010

The man Ramaala fears the most: Martin Lel

Name: Martin Lel

Age: 31

Height: 5ft 7ins

Weight: 54kg

Home: Eldoret, Kenya.

Career Highlights:

PB 2.05.15
London Marathon Winner 2005, 2007, 2008
New York Marathon Winner 2003, 2007
World Marathon Majors Champion 2007



The past...

How did you get into running?

At aged 12, I started to join older friends who were running in school. I was naturally fit as I had to travel 20km to and from school each day and at the weekends I had to help my parents on the farm.

Who were your sports idol growing up?

Kip Keino was the local hero and was very famous Kenyan from my home town.

When did you decide the Marathon was your event?

In 2001 (aged 22) I ran the local half marathon in Eldoret and came 15th. This qualified me to join Dr Rosa’s (famous Kenyan athletic Coach) but, I was always scared of running a marathon. It was until my coach convinced me to run a marathon that I decided to give it a go and then I competed in the Venice Marathon and ran 2 hours 10 minutes.

The present...

Why is marathon running so popular around the world?

It is a race for the strong and much more challenging than a 10km race. The marathon requires commitment in training and you cannot cheat that in a marathon.

The future...

You have already achieved a lot in your career but what are your future aims?

I want to reduce my personal best in the marathon and win an Olympic medal. I was sick in Beijing so fingers cross for London 2012.

When will there be a sub 2 hour marathon?

A few years! New technology in training is coming and advanced body protection will achieve help achieve this.

Will it be a Kenyan?

I hope it’s a Kenyan but, I will stay safe by saying it will be an African! Ethiopians and Kenyan’s keep stealing each others records at the moment so it will be between the two countries, I think.

On London...

What do you enjoy about London?

I will always have an interest in London. The 2005 race was my first London Marathon and I won. They say it is harder to win the London Marathon than the Olympic’s so I am very privileged to have won it three times.

What would you like to do in London Town that you have not experienced before?

Sadly I have only been to London to race and this time I would like travel London and see all the sites after the race. I would also like to see my team Chelsea play.

Why Chelsea?

Last year I was sadly injured before the race and I was receiving treatment from the Chelsea Physio so this time I would like to see the team play!

Virgin London Marathon

What is your favourite part of the Virgin London Marathon course?

You sadly don’t get to admire the sites during the race. However, Tower Bridge is always beautiful (maybe because it is Halfway!) and of course the finish is a beautiful site.

Are you scared before running London?

Ofcourse, when I am scared I know I am confident and ready to run. If you are not scared about London you must be sick!

Do you have any pre race rituals?

Before bed I pray to god to give me the opportunity to run at my full potential. I never ask him to win just to be in good health.

What do you eat the night before a race?

Spaghetti, water and a glass of milk.

Why milk?

Because I’m used to drinking it in training and don’t want to change my routine the night before a race.

When you are hurting in a race what do you think or say to yourself?

I think back to my training and call on my fitness to get me through.

What is your favourite London Marathon race and why?

Winning London in 2008 I achieved a personal best, a course record and beat great competitors including the future Olympic Champion.

After running what would you like to do?

For work I will become a business man of some sort but I will also be helping out an orphanage I am currently raising money for.

What is your funniest story from a London Marathon race?

Sammy Wanjiru (Olympic and London Champion) was in the press conference after the race and a reporter asked him if he was still hungry after winning the Olympics and London Marathon at such a young age? Sammy replied “Well, you know it is a long way and I am a young man, of course I need too eat!”

footnote says: I must say that I have met some dedicated runners in my time but this boy takes the biscuit. He is dedicated not just in training but his whole life. I am going to write a blog next week on Martin and give you a bit more of an insight into his life and training.

mzungo.org says: thanks for that, footnote!
 
ShareThis