Thursday, March 11, 2010

NYC Half: Meb out

2009 ING NYC Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi has withdrawn from next week’s NYC Half-Marathon because of a knee injury:

“Due to a setback in my training a few weeks ago, I will not be prepared to compete in the NYC Half-Marathon,” Keflezighi said in a statement to NYRR officials. “The New York Road Runners have assembled a great field once again, and I was looking forward to being a top contender. But I developed soreness on my left knee that required me to take several days off and cut back on mileage for a few weeks. Since I lost most of the build-up phase of my marathon training in February, I will have to pass on a tune-up race and focus my time on preparing for the Boston Marathon.”

Meb’s withdrawal should come as a surprise for those following his twitter messages, where he has been reporting very good training sessions in recent days. Just yesterday, he announced his “best session this year so far”.

Of course, the NYC Half still boasts a men’s field led by marathon world record-holder Haile Gebrselassie of Ethiopia, two-time ING New York City Marathon winner Marilson Gomes dos Santos of Brazil, and United States Olympians Anthony Famiglietti and Abdi Abdirahman.

Source: marathonnews.net
 
ShareThis