Friday, March 26, 2010

Ryan Hall on his Boston return

"I have so many memories of Boston, starting at the starting line, just running through the crowd on the way to the starting line, and all the guys in the crowd just going nuts. I started getting so fired up and I think that contributed to me going out so fast for the first mile.

Running by Wellesley, where the race broke open... I'll never forget how loud it was there and thinking I'm going to savor this'. Even though the race was breaking up, I ran as close as I could to the girls screaming in my ear, and for about five minutes after that, my ears were just ringing, so that was a good moment....

... Then just being in a lot of pain going up heartbreak. I'd trained at altitude, done tons of hill work, and expected I'd manage those hills pretty well... And maybe, in relation to the other guys, I did pick off quite a few guys in that section, but I was hurting, so those hills got my respect. That's a big reason I'm back here doing my homework....

.... Going by Boston College was another really rowdy place that I wasn't expecting, and that's kind of the start of the crowd carrying me all the way to the finish line. I really felt like I did the best I could with what I had on the day, and I was very proud to finish third my first time here in Boston. But the moment I crossed the finish line, I was like 'I have to come back here, because I know I can do even better next time.'"

SOURCE: WBZ
 
ShareThis