Thursday, July 29, 2010

Marathon man Mart aims to reign in Spain!

SEDGLEY policeman-turned-marathon runner Martin Williams has vowed to take no prisoners when he makes his British debut at the European Championships in Barcelona this Sunday (August 1).

The 32-year-old has only been running over 26.2miles for two years but has gone from strength to strength, finishing his maiden race – the Florence Marathon in November 2008 – in ninth.

Williams clocked 2:19.40 hours and despite failing to better that at his first London Marathon in 2009 he lowered his best to 2:18.24 en route to the Edinburgh Marathon title a month later.

With UKA relaxing their stiff selection standards for the Europeans as of last July, Williams’ bid to board the plane to Spain was boosted with the qualifying time lowered to 2:18.00.

The Tipton Harrier ducked under that at the Seville Marathon in February clocking 2:17.36 and has promised to lay down the law when he returns to the streets of Spain.

Williams said: “I haven’t really looked at the field and who I will be up against in Barcelona but I certainly am not about to go there to just make up the numbers.

“I know I will be a relative newcomer but hopefully this can work to my advantage and I can slip under the radar and upset a few people.

“It is hard to hold down the tough job that I do and keep training at a high level so things like this are great for me and the pressure is off and I can just concentrate on my running.

“I don’t think I will feel any extra nerves and if anything it will spur me on – I won’t have time to feel nervous about representing Great Britain.

“I have been dreaming of this moment to come for a long time and when it finally arrives it is going to be a great feeling.”

Williams’ selection was far from straight forward and he was only included on the team after Andrew Lemoncello – the current British No.1 – reversed his decision to run in Barcelona.

Britain will send a full-strength marathon team to the European Championships despite the absence of Paula Radcliffe and Mara Yamauchi with Williams joining up with 11 others.

The European Championships will also incorporate the European Marathon Cup and with three scoring as part of the team, Williams has vowed to be among Britain’s best performers.

He added: “With it being my first major competition, I haven’t set myself any real aims or goals but I want to do myself and the British team proud.

“I am really excited about heading out to Barcelona and featuring for Great Britain at a major championship. It is going to be my first time pulling on that GB vest so to do it in a major event is brilliant.

“And having been on a training camp I couldn’t be better prepared. Being a marathon runner is all about how well you prepare so to come and get the training done means I couldn’t be in better shape.”

l Martin Williams has been selected for the Aviva GB & NI Team and is high-altitude training in Font Romeu, France. Aviva’s support both at home and abroad is helping the team prepare to compete at their best. Get to know the Aviva GB & NI team at aviva.co.uk/athletics
 
ShareThis