Friday, August 27, 2010

American marathon record holder Deena Kastor pregnant

Deena Kastor announced today that she's three months pregnant and won't be running the ING New York City Marathon on November 7.

"As soon as we heard the news, I stopped hard workouts. I am running easy days with my Mammoth Track Club teammates, but have chosen to forgo any hard efforts in order that every bit of my energy goes into making sure the baby will be healthy and strong. I don’t look pregnant yet, but I hear it seems to happen overnight," she told Runner's World.

Kastor was planning on running the ING New York City Marathon for the first time since 2006 when she placed sixth in the race. This year marks one of the toughest women's fields in New York Marathon history, with Shalane Flanagan, Mary Keitany and Mara Yamauchi already announced.

“Despite my withdrawal from this year's ING New York City Marathon, I intend to be there marathon week to take part in all the activities surrounding this fantastic race,” Kastor said in a press release.

Kastor joins fellow marathoners Kara Goucher and Paula Radcliffe, who are both pregnant and due in September.

New York Marathon CEO Mary Wittenberg was ecstatic about the news. “There will always be another ING New York City Marathon. There's no better reason to miss our race than pregnancy,” she said.

This will be the first child for Kastor, 37, and her husband Andrew.

Kastor currently holds the American marathon record for a woman, a 2:19:36 set in London in 2006.
 
ShareThis