Sunday, August 22, 2010

Frank Duffy 10 mile race, Dublin: Success for Scottish Runner as Sun Shines in the Park for Series Run

Success for Scottish Runner as Sun Shines in the Park for Series Run


Scottish club runner, Andy Douglas of Inverclyde AC, took the honours in this year’s Lifestyle Sports-adidas Frank Duffy 10 mile race, on a gloriously sunny Saturday morning in Phoenix Park. The Scot, who has never visited Ireland before, finished comfortably ahead of the 6,000 plus race participants in a time of 50:52.


Speaking after the race Douglas said “I’m absolutely delighted, I never expected to come here and win it. It’s not an easy course and the hills definitely present a challenge so I had to balance those out, but I’m happy with my time.”

Coming in second place was Clonliffe Harriers Mark Kenneally, who despite taking most of the summer off due to illness, looked comfortable as he crossed the finish less a minute behind the leader.

‘I’m happy enough’ said Kenneally, ‘I didn’t have a good summer, I took a long time off as I was sick. This is only my 17th or 18th time back running so I thought I’d just jump back in and get a feel for where I’m at’

In the Women’s field, Maria McCambridge followed up her win in the Lifestyle Sports-adidas Irish Runner 5 mile last month, coming in first place in today’s race in a phenomenal time of 56.41. In second place was Sportsworld AC runner Caitriona Jennings who was followed closely by surprise entry Catherina McKiernan, who came in third place.

Speaking after the race a McCambridge spoke highly of her competitor Catherina McKiernan.

“Even when Catherina says she’d not fit, she really is, she’s a great athlete and it was great motivation to be competing alongside her.”

“The conditions were great today. I got in with a good group of runners at the start which really kept me going and I’m just delighted with the win.”

A record field of 6,000 runners took part in today’s race, the second race in the Lifestyle Sports-adidas Race Series.

The next race in the series is the Lifestyle Sports-adidas Half Marathon on Saturday, 18th September, also in Phoenix Park.

Lifestyle Sports-adidas Frank Duffy 10 mile race

Men’s Top 3
Andy Douglas (Inverclyde AC) 50:52
Mark Kenneally (Clonliffe Harriers) 51:49
Michael Clohisey (Raheny Shamrocks) 52:19

Women’s Top 3
Maria McCambridge (Letterkenny AC) 56:41
Caitriona Jennings (Sportsworld AC) 59:30
Catherina McKiernan 1:00:14
 
ShareThis