Monday, September 6, 2010

Dan Robinson talks to Runnerslife

via runnerslife.co.uk

Personal Bests

5,000m - 14:15.58

10,000m - 29:31.98

10k - 29:12

10mile - 48:12

Half Marathon - 63:42

Marathon - 2:12.14



You came on the scene quite late....how did you get into running seriously?

I started running seriously after university, at around age 23. I'd not done anything for 3 years and wanted to get fit enough so I could play Sunday league footy and reasonably enjoy it. I joined a gym with the intention of hitting the weights hard, but only got as far as the treadmill! I used to go about 5 times a week and hammer 10k as fast as I could, usually ending up at about 5.15 mile pace. Quite quickly I got to 32 minutes for 10k and 74minutes for a half.

How do you work your job around your training?

I work 4 mornings a week for my father's property development company and 4 afternoons a week at a local prep school as assistant games teacher. Both jobs are pretty flexible and seems to work pretty well with training and getting enough rest and recovery.

You have now run in 2 Olympics, 2 World Championships, 2 European Championships and 1 Commonwealth Games is there one race that stands out as your favourite over your running career?

Running 2.13 to qualify for the Athens Olympics in 2004 was a massive highlight as it was a huge breakthrough for me. I'd been stuck at around 2.17 for 3 years and was 1 of about half a dozen who had a slight shout for Olympic qualification. The race panned out perfectly for me and was able to use Jon Brown as a pacemaker for virtually the whole way.

Running into the stadium in both Olympics was fantastic, running a big personal best last year in Amsterdam was satisfying too. 2 of my best runs were the 2005 and 2007 World Champs. I finished 12th and 11th and 2nd and 3rd European so felt that I'd had a really good run.

You won the Bronze at the Commonwealth Games, could you briefly talk us through the race from your point of view?

My plan was to run with Aussie guys for as long as possible and then see what happened in the last 10k. The Kenyans and Tanzanians went off really quick, but after half way we could see 1 or 2 starting to come back to us. One of the Australians made an effort at 28k that I was able to cover and go past him and I went into third at 20 miles. I was feeling strong and was able to crack on and stay clear of the other guys. It was amazing to run into the MCG knowing that I had a medal and could enjoy the experience.

How was your recent European Championships in Barcelona?

I had a poor run in Barcelona. I was never feeling great and never really got going. Pretty gutted really as I felt that if I could replicate my World Championship and Amsterdam performance then I could be quite competitive. But, wasn't and just not my day.

What do you think of the current standard in the Marathon (British scene)?

Very encouraging, Lee Merrien had a great run in Barcelona and I'm sure there's much more to come from him. Likewise Dave Webb, Lemoncello and Wicks are both running autumn races I think and could go really well. Andi Jones, if he gets it right, should go much faster too. With London 2012 fast approaching I'm sure we'll see a big upturn in the next 18 months as there are plenty of guys with genuine Olympic aspirations. I'd love to see some fast times from British athletes as we have to put up with a fair amount of criticism.

Will you be running in Dehli, Commonwealth Games?

I'm not running in Delhi.. My plan for 2010 was to focus on the Europeans and I felt that at this stage of my career, 2 marathons in potentially tough conditions would not be the best for me. I'd love have gone though and I'm sure it will be a fantastic event.

Is 2012 the main target for you now?

2012 is my main goal. I'm having an extended break from running at the moment, something I haven't done before. My plan is not to run a spring marathon but target an autumn 2011 race and spring 2012 if I need to. After Barcelona, I really felt that if I didn't have a good amount of time off I could see my career ending. Both physically and mentally was so tired. I still firmly believe I can get a fair bit nearer to 2.10 but might need a few rethinks re training, racing, rest, recovery etc. 2010 has been a poor year for me running wise and am going to have very low key end to the year before big push in 2011!

You have done a few big city Marathons, do you have a favourite?

London is an amazing experience and a must for any British distance runner. I've a soft spot for Amsterdam too, where I ran my personal best time (2:12.14)

You have always stuck with local club 'Stroud' and run for them at events like the Castles Relay, is the club important to you?

I love running for Stroud when I can, though its not as often as I'd like. The Castles relay is a great event and one I'd carry on doing for years to come. Stroud is a great club, with a really talented group of juniors, so things looking good for next few years.



Training
Easy Running

I do them regularly 7.30 min per mile to 6 min per mile depending how tired I am.



Steady Running

5.45 to 6.15 pace depending on fitness and faze of training



Interval Work

How many times a week?

2 x sessions + hard long run in marathon training

Examples of important sessions?

- 10 x 3 mins, 6 x 5 mins

- 12 x 1 min or 16 x 1 min hill

- 2/3 x 15 mins

- 6 mile time trial

- extended marathon paced runs - 8 miles to 16 miles depending on stage of training

- Long hilly run, hard all way, or as long as I can manage, no slower than 6 min mile over hilly route. 4 - 5 of these in 12 week marathon build up.

I do many sessions on the treadmill as I feel comfortable and very used to running hard on it.

Hardest session?

23 hilly run - run hard from the start

Can you give a typical week in full training?

Mon - 40 mins + 60 mins easy

Tue - 45 mins easy. 12 x 1 min + 16 x 1 min hill on treadmill

Wed - 45 easy + 60 mins easy

Thurs - 45 east + 60 mins steady

Fri - 30 mins easy + marathon pace run, up to 17 miles. Or 6 x 5 mins

Sat - 30 mins jog + 30 mins jog, v. easy

Sun - 23 miles hard + hilly or 2.5 hours easy. Depending on if I did longer run on Friday



Mileage

What is your mileage are you doing in training phases?

110 - 130 in peak training. Am not convinced I need to go that high and am planning my next marathon off around 90 - 100

Will you change this when you return training and how?

I'm planning on keeping my mileage down a bit when I get back into marathon training, whilst obviously maintaining the key sessions. I will also train on a 10 day cycle rather than a weekly one. I feel that a long hard run every 10 days is plenty and trying to do them every week is too much and lead to being over trained. Running my easy and recovery runs slow enough to allow my legs to recover is important too and something I need to get better at.

What is your longest run of the week?

24 miles - though ran 27 miles before Amsterdam 2009 and Osaka World Champs in 2007 - probably my best 2 races

Were you running to time or distance?

Both - though usually time



Group Training

What are your feelings on group training...is it essential?

I have always trained on my own - though am planning to incorporate more group training next year.

What groups will you be linking up with?

I am planning to join in with sessions with the group at Stroud AC. They have a very good group of juniors and Tom Russell often joining in, I am sure that doing some faster work will help to bring me on. I also hope to be able to link up with Lee Merrien at some point this winter, either here, in Guernsey or at altitude, we'll see.

Do you ever go to altitude or go warm weather training?

Never been



Rest / Recovery

I normally have 1 - 2 weeks off after a marathon. Since Barcelona I haven't run a step - 5 weeks and counting! Am planning 2 more weeks rest then start to build up to be running twice a day and in ok shape by Christmas.


Lastly...

What advice would you pass on to the up and coming Marathon runners, maybe what you would do different in hindsight?

For me, the long run is key to a good marathon programme both at an easy pace for time on your feet and faster to get your body fatigued and used to the feeling in the latter stages of a marathon. Extended marathon paced runs too are important for the same reason. Training at a pace that you expect to race is key. Being in decent 10k shape before starting a 12 week marathon build up is preferable and something I try to do.
 
ShareThis