Sunday, September 19, 2010

Geb is like Becks


HAILE GEBRSELASSIE’S first appearance in the Great North Run will be watched by more than 11 million Ethiopians as the David Beckham of long-distance running finally fulfills a decade-old promise.

Gebrselassie is arguably the greatest long-distance runner of all time and is one of the most famous faces in Ethiopia after winning Olympic goal medals and breaking 26 world records over a variety of distances.

The 37-year-old will finally compete in the Great North Run tomorrow 10 years after he pulled out of the event because of an Achilles injury just a month after he took gold in the 10,000 metres at the Sydney Olympics.

And that will ensure the event celebrates its 30th birthday with its largest ever television audience.

Gebrselassie said: “Running in Ethiopia is like soccer is here in England. The popularity and interest is the same. In Ethiopia, people are always looking for the results of all the big races. The interest over there is crazy.

“I don’t do any training in the city – I do my training outside. When I train, people shout at me and call out my name all the time.

“In the city, it is hard for me to run. Many people recognise me, so it is hard to get on with my work.

“It is probably like being a soccer player in England. I’m not sure if it’s quite the same as being David Beckham, but maybe it’s something like that.”

Gebrselassie intends to return to England in 2012 to run in the Olympic marathon, but he does not even know if he will qualify for the Ethiopia team. That should also serve as a reality check for Britain’s long-distance hope and European champion Mo Farah.

The Ethiopian said: “It is a massive ambition to compete in 2012. I hope I am one of the names there.

“That would mean a lot to me, but it will not be easy. I have to qualify first, and because of all the competition in Ethiopia, it will not be easy.

“To be in the top three in Ethiopia is hard. In many ways, qualifying for the team will be even harder than doing well in London."
 
ShareThis