Saturday, October 23, 2010

Blog Roll: Ryan Hall on self coaching

I believe we are all dynamic individuals and thus change is an inevitable part of life.

Recently, I prayerfully decided that it was time for me to make a change in my running career and withdrawal from the Mammoth Track Club. Sara and I are extremely grateful for all that our coach, teammates, and town have invested in us over the past five years, but it is time to take the next step. This decision was not based solely on problems in my buildup to Chicago, but based on many factors, many of which I felt prior to Chicago and some of which I will explain. I am making this pivotal decision with full faith that it will allow me to take my running performances to the next level.

Though we do intend to spend time training in our home, Mammoth Lakes, this change will allow us greater flexibility in both our day to day training and in our location. Sara and I will plan to train in a variety of locations at both sea level and at altitude, whatever makes most sense for the time period as I prepare for a spring marathon. We will likely not be training in Mammoth until the spring or summer due to the long winter. I believe this flexibility will give us a greater capacity to maximize our training.

I will be using some different sources to shape my training. Over the past 14 years of running I have developed a keen body awareness, which I will use on a daily basis, as well as advice from various experts, and prayer to ultimately shape my training. I believe that operating in this manner will allow me to run with a new level of faith and excitement.

To be honest, change is not always easy. It would be easy for me to stay on the team and continue to train as I have been, but I have learned to trust my intuition and God’s voice in my life. It takes faith and the courage to risk failure in order to realize one’s destiny. Having had my share of failures throughout my career I know that it is well worth the risk. Looking back on my life I can see why I had to go to different places to get me to this point on my journey and I see my time on the MTC as an important time to learn, develop and get to contribute to the development of my teammates and coach‘s career as well. However, I feel my season as a part of the MTC has come to a close and it’s time to take the next step. I appreciate your support as I look to represent the USA, my sponsors, and God the best I possibly can.

mzungo says: Please apologize for this lame attempt at humor (picture). We wish Hall all the best and applaud his bold move.
 
ShareThis