Friday, October 22, 2010

Sammy Mugo aiming for Beijing Marathon title defens

Pat Butcher for the IAAF
One week after the IAAF World Half Marathon Championships in Nanning, the distance running focus remains in China with the 30th Anniversary edition of the Beijing Marathon, an IAAF Gold Label event. And the likelihood, as with Wilson Kiprop in Nanning, is that a Kenyan will win in the Chinese capital.

The favourite, both by dint of his victory last year, and in his own estimation yesterday is Sammy Mugo. Now 24, Mugo set a personal best of 2:08.20 in winning last year. He had to drop out of Boston earlier this year with bronchial problems, but reckons he’s ready to run well again, and fast.

“I developed a chest problem on the way to Boston, and had to drop out at 25km. But I feel fine now. I soon got back into training, and I’m going well, and feeling very strong. I think I can improve a lot.” Asked who his principal rivals for Sunday’s race would be, he responded, “I don’t have any.”

READ ON
 
ShareThis