Sunday, November 7, 2010

BREAKING: Geb Retires from Running

by Mark Remy

Moments ago at a post-New York City Marathon news conference, a tearful Haile Gebrselassie said he is retiring from running. The marathon world record holder, widely considered to be among the best runners in history, made the announcement to a room full of stunned journalists and took only a few questions before being led from the room.

He walked away with a noticeable limp.

The news followed a painful race for Geb, who dropped out at mile 16 with knee problems.

"I never think about to retire," Gebrselassie said. "But for the first time, this is the day. Let me stop and do other work after this. Let me do other job. Let me give a chance for the youngsters. Of course, I am giving a chance for the youngsters. Will I miss the race? It's hard to me, hard because, you know, I want to thank all of you."

More details to come soon.
 
ShareThis