Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Gebrselassie: I still love running

Marathon world record-holder Haile Gebrselassie appears to be re-considering his decision to retire from athletics.


The 37-year-old tearfully announced his retirement from the sport after pulling out of Sunday's ING New York Marathon with 10 miles remaining due to a knee injury. The double Olympic gold medallist was adamant that the time was right to call time on his career, telling a press conference: "I'm not going to run any more. It's better to stop here."


The Ethiopian made the decision without consulting any of his coaching staff - and hinted that he may be about to make a dramatic U-turn after posting two messages on Twitter on Tuesday.

"What a disappointing weekend, I didn't plan to come back to Ethiopia this way. I wanted to succeed in New York," Gebrselassie wrote after returning to his homeland.

"Now it is time for me to think about a lot of things," he continued.

"I still love running. I will always run. Just give me some time to think things over."

Compatriot Gebre Gebremariam, who won the men's race in New York in a time of two hours, eight minutes and 14 seconds, thinks Gebrselassie made the decision in the heat of the moment and is confident that he will race again.

He said: "When I get back home I will start to speak to him to try to make him think again. He has to run two or three more races. I think he will change his mind.

"Haile is the king of athletics. He decided...after getting the injury. I think he was very emotional at that time."
 
ShareThis