Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mzungo exclusive: Paul Tergat


Two days before the marathon, Mzungo hat a chat with Paul Tergat. During the busy lead-up and wind-down time we didn't get a chance to talk about Paul here. Nonetheless, we're hanging at Paul's lips and want to share his thoughts. I remember warming up for the 2006 NYC Marathon. As a so called "sub elite", we were able to warm up alongside the professionals. There, I saw Paul and two fellow Kenyans jogging quietly. I passed them, jogging myself, and couldn't help but say to him "I'm passing Paul Tergat!". He returned a broad smile, chuckled and said "Weeery good, weery good!" I will never forget this brief encounter.
And here is what he said to us two weeks ago:



"The beautiful thing about the Kenyan athletes competing at the NYC marathon is that they have experience but maybe they don't have the experience of New York. It's the hills, the bridges - it's totally different. Everyone comes with a fast time and everyone wants to win. However, it will come down to whoever handles the hills best. Attacking at first avenue doesn't make you win this race. It's too early. When the hills start, you can bomb and move and move! In particular on Fifth Avenue along Central Park."





"I still run but not competitively. No more 2:04s, 2:05s, 2:06s. I'm almost 42 years old now. I had a long lasting injury and while sitting it out, I realized that I gained some weight. A few kilos maybe. [Paul laughs and pads his belly, see picture]. And it's not easy to get that weight off as it was when I was 25. But it's great to be in New York to watch. Being an athlete myself, you really want to be here. I still follow the sport. I made my life through the sport. Sport is my life. I am really honored to get the Abebe Bikila award. Bikila is still a big role model in Ethiopia and all over Africa."
 
ShareThis