Thursday, December 2, 2010

Blog Roll - Ryan Hall

Newton Hills Simulation Run

The Boston Marathon has some unique challenges that can be difficult to prepare for. So, for those of you training for Boston or just looking for a new challenge, I wanted to share the workout that I did this Monday on a treadmill in Flagstaff, Arizona.

First off, I know what you’re thinking: “Did he just say, ‘treadmill’?” Well, yes, I did. I don’t customarily use a treadmill but many elite runners use treadmills to prepare for a unique course. Having run Boston before, I certainly appreciate the need for Boston-specific preparation. I really enjoyed doing this long run and it went by unusually fast because I was constantly changing the grade and pace I was running, just like in the marathon itself.

Here is the workout:

* 4 miles warm up of easy running
* 4 miles at a moderate pace (I go about 65-70% of max heart rate or effort)
* 4 miles at a pace slightly slower than marathon pace
* Then, the following Newton Hill Simulation at the same pace:

o 0-.7 miles @ 3% grade

o .7-1.7 miles @ 1% grade

o 1.7-2.0 miles @ 6% grade

o 2.0-3.4 miles @ 1% grade

o 3.4-3.8 miles @ 4% grade

o 3.8-4.4 miles @1% grade

o 4.4-4.8 miles @ 6% grade

* Finally, 0% grade for a little over a mile at marathon pace

Good luck and have fun!
 
ShareThis