Thursday, February 3, 2011

60 seconds: Gebrselassie's ideal dinner party

Legendary long distance runner Haile Gebrselassie fancies a spot of pasta with Nelson Mandela, Barack Obama and Mother Theresa.


Who was your sporting hero as a child?
Miruts Yifter from Ethiopia, who won both 5000m and 10000m the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. When I was in high school my physical education teacher encouraged me to follow my dream, as did my older brother who was also a marathon runner.


If you weren’t an athlete what do you think you’d have been?
It’s difficult to say. Maybe an artist - I still paint and play musical instruments, and am interested in creative hobbies. I’m also a very good carpenter so maybe I could have done that for a job!


What is your most extravagant purchase?
Once I bought my wife a diamond, which was very expensive for me at the time! Maybe not so much now.


Who would be your ideal three dinner party guests?
Nelson Mandela, Barack Obama... and maybe Mother Theresa.


What would you cook them?
Pasta.


How far can you run?
I run 35k in training.

READ ON...
 
ShareThis