Saturday, February 26, 2011

ATHLETICS ON SNOW - Boit set on swansong after decade as lone ranger

By CHRIS MUSUMBA for DAILY NATION

Never say never. This must be Philip Boit’s motto every time he lines up for a skiing challenge with the world’s best.

For all the years he has participated in international tournaments - be it the Winter Olympics or the World Championships - he’s never won anything.

Yet, Boit somehow still finds the energy and courage to continue with the fight.

This year, Boit - who began skiing in 1996 - has set his sights on the World Nordic Skiing championships in Oslo, Norway.

On Wednesday, it wasn’t surprising when he returned in position 42 out of the 48 skiers who competed in the 10km Classic race.

“As I came through into the stadium, I could not believe it. I was widely cheered by the fans.

Most of them have been following my story in skiing. I was really touched. When I reached the finish line, I saw my son smiling, it felt nice,” said the 40-year-old, who hails from Eldoret.

READ FULL STORY HERE
 
ShareThis