Monday, February 14, 2011

Bernard Lagat sets a new U.S. indoor record in the 2-mile run (and thinks marathon post Olympics)

AP reports
Bernard Lagat set a new U.S. indoor record in the 2-mile run, breaking a 21-year old mark to become the American record-holder at the five distances from 1,500 meters to two miles.
Lagat finished in 8 minutes, 10.07 seconds during a college meet at the Armory on Saturday night, beating the mark of 8:15.02 that Doug Padilla set on Feb. 16, 1990, in Los Angeles.
The 36-year-old Lagat now holds the U.S. indoor marks in the mile and 2-mile, and at 1,500, 3,000 and 5,000 meters. He is also the U.S. outdoor record holder for the 1,500, 3,000 and 5,000.
"I'm so happy I have all five," Lagat said. "I haven't felt this good since the world championships in Dohar last year."
READ ON...


RW brief chat with Lagat here.
Did you feel good right from the start today?
BL: Man, it was really good. I planned my meals really well today (his race was at 8:06 p.m.). I went to bed last night at 12:00 and I woke up today at 12:00. I went down to a cafe on 44th and had a Soy Latte and got a bagel and had that. At 2:00, I went to the gym and ran on a treadmill for 15 minutes, then came back and showered. Then I went to the restaurant back at my hotel and picked up some Italian food, penne pasta with some broccoli in it. I finished eating at exactly 3:00. That's five hours (before the race), so by the time I come to the race, I don't feel like I'm hungry and I don't feel like I'm stuffed.
 
ShareThis