Saturday, May 21, 2011

“Key to my racing is confidence” – Q&A session with Patrick Makau

via Possosports Europe

We had a brief chat to Team Adidas athlete and Posso Sports client, Patrick Makau of Kenya. Let’s hear what Patrick has to say:

Hello Patrick and congratulations on being awarded as the winner of the AIMS/ASICS World Athlete of the Year Award for 2010!

PS, E: Please share with us your thoughts about this prestigious award and tell us how it feels to be officially placed among the best of the best in marathon running?

PM: It’s motivating! I feel humbled and motivated. Receiving this award is wonderful! I am still working hard to build my name as a good marathon runner.

PS, E: When it comes to your grueling training programs and racing, what will, if anything, change from now on? Do you carry any extra pressure as a result of having received this trophy?

PM: I really don’t feel extra pressure because I’ve received this prestigious award, because the key to my racing is confidence. Without confidence you can not hope to compete against the really strong athletes.

PS, E: What lies ahead when it comes to training and competitions for the rest of 2011?

PM: Firstly, I am still recovering from the London Marathon of a few weeks ago. Leading up to London I had some health problems that did undermine my confidence in the lead-up to the race. Even though I know I wasn’t 100%, I am satisfied with my 2h:05’:45’’. Looking ahead, I will attempt to run a fast marathon this autumn. I doubt if I will compete in any road races before my marathon. I must start my marathon preparations relaxed and confident.

PS, E: Please tell us more about Patrick, the man behind Patrick-the-runner: How do you relax? What is your favorite music? Who are your best friends?

PM: I relax some everyday after training, but I look forward to going to my rural home (Kangundo) to really relax and be with my family. My best friends are my brothers and other family members. We’re all very close. Of course, I have many good friends that I race against, but training at a top level doesn’t leave much time to socialize. My favorite music is Kenyan Gospel and some of the popular Kenyan music that is around.

PS, E: Anything else to share with your fans and Posso Sports, Europe followers?

PM: I just want to tell all those that support me that in means so much to me that you appreciate my performances. I hope I will continue to improve and keep you all as my fans!

Thanks Patrick for talking to us. We wish you all the best for the rest of the season and will chat soon!
 
ShareThis