Saturday, May 28, 2011

Muzhingi eyes Comrades record

Defending champion Stephen Muzhingi was oozing confidence on the eve of the 86th Comrades Marathon, while his counterpart on the women's side, Elena Nurgalieva, was far more conservative in her predictions.

Muzhingi, who won the ‘down' run for the last two years, said he was confident of breaking the men‘s record for the ‘up' run between Durban and Pietermaritzburg on Sunday.

The Zimbabwean was “aiming for five hour and 24 minutes“, which would challenge the record of 5:24.49 set by Leonid Shvetsov of Russia in 2008.

“I don't put pressure on myself anymore and I'm going to run my own race,” Muzhingi said on Friday.

“It's a matter of dealing with distance and time, rather than people, and I'm not going to run anyone else's race.”

READ ON...
 
ShareThis