Monday, January 12, 2015

Fucking Marathon Pace (FMP)



Most runners are geeks and talk about training "zones", "threshold" runs, interval "sets" and so forth.

But really, if you want to run a good marathon you mainly should train at Fucking Marathon Pace (FMP). I wish this term was my creation but it isn't. Duncan Larkin, author of "Run Simple" used it a few years ago in his "Magna Carta to break 2:30 - The Summer of the Caveman" (well worth a read).

The idea is simple: if you plan to run 42.2k at a certain pace, you better be used to that. For me, FMP workouts start with 2x5k or something like that and I aim to run 25k straight at FMP two weeks before the race.

Why "Fucking"? Do the 25k FMP and report back to me.

Update on Markus: he says he'll be here once I run a sub36 10k. Makes me want to go to the track right now and just hammer out a 33 high - or not run a 10k at all. Still undecided.
 
ShareThis