Monday, August 24, 2009

Mike: Staying Local and Still Getting to Race with the Best


The last couple weeks I have been staying close to home and been having a great time enjoying the local racing scene.

I ran the Bluemont 5K on a Tuesday night after work and Jennifer and the boys came to run it too. It was terrific. We all got to participate and race less than a mile from our home and we couldn’t have had more fun as it was a really low key but well-run event.

It was one of those no frills types of things that just makes me happy all over as a runner. Someone draws a line on the ground, sets up a cone, and says “go”. I love these type of events, they really connect you with the community and allow you to interact with all different kinds of people.

The next race I did was the Health Focus of Southwest Virginia Salem Distance Classic 10K in Salem, VA.

I have been involved in the Health Focus of Southwest Virginia Salem Distance Classic for more than four years and each year I enjoy the experience more than the year before. It is such an honor and privilege to have the Salem community accept me into the fold and support me the way the do.

I am so blessed and lucky to get to compete all over the country and world the last few years and each time I go back to Salem the people there tell me how they followed me in such and such a race and how it was interesting to them and I just love that sense of belonging that they embrace me with and I hope to be a part of their lives for years to come.

After the race in Salem, I ran the Leesburg 20K another home grown and feel good race. This is one of those races where everyone brings their dogs and kids and it is simple course you run out, turn around and run back. I enjoyed seeing all the local Metro DC runners on the W&OD [Washington & Old Dominion] trail where the race was held and it made me so happy to be a part of the event as I was able to cheer for them and they were able to cheer for me on the way back.

Finally, this past weekend I ran the NYC ½ marathon and the New York Road Runners did a fantastic job to bring in some big names like Ryan Hall, Paula Radcliff, Deena Kastor and others to mix it up in NYC.

I ended up 25th overall and had the distinct pleasure of being the first guy to get passed by a woman as Paula Radcliffe passed me in the last 400 meters, you can watch her catch and pass me here at around 1:07:20 if you like: http://www.nyrr.org/nychalf_live/

It was super cool to get to compete with all those big name athletes and made me hungry to keep pushing to get faster and stronger.

All is well here and my next longer race is the local Endurance Challenge by The North Face.

Hope all is well on your ends and you have been enjoying the World Championships. I thought I was going to get to see the 10K last night but they (Versus) tricked me as they only were showing the shorter events, which were still exciting but I like the longer stuff a little more; however, the steeplechase was really interesting, seems like a fun event.

Take care and hope your running is going well.

Best Regards,
Michael Wardian
 
ShareThis