Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Another Wesley Korir story


Mzungo readers surely remember this story about Wesley Korir.
With the LA Marathon approaching fast, the LA Times now features him.

"The group moved along the outskirts of the city and Korir saw people he hadn't seen for years. One was Lucas Sang, who had been on Kenya's eighth-place 1,600-meter relay team in the Seoul Olympics.
"I talked to him," Korir says. "He asked me, 'When did you come from America?' "

Minutes later, another tribe ambushed them and Korir watched Sang being killed.
"He was only a little in front of me," Korir says. "I saw a machete swing and then I saw them burning his body."
In the aftermath, some reports said Sang was hit by a rock. Korir says he saw a machete swing. Sang was eventually identified only by an unburned piece of his track suit."
 
ShareThis