Thursday, March 18, 2010

Blog Roll: James Carney

The Ides of March are upon us. The weekend proved fruitful and an exercise in tenacity. Sunday morning was the Boulder Half Marathon which I decided to use as a longer tempo since I planned on doing a long tempo at the reservoir anyway. The Boulder half is a tough course and all up hill and into a cold gale wind on the way out. It was slowing going on the way out but I was able to hit 5:02s all the way home. Mario Marcias ran a spectacular race to win, Andrew Letherby placed second and I came third. My garmin read 13.24 when i came in and Im pretty positive I took every tangent so the course may have been a bit long. I felt very strong and could hold that pace for a long time but just not fast. I didnt sleep a wink Saturday night as my wisdom teeth were killing me. Im positive there is an infection back there and I debated whether I should go to the Boulder half or go to the emergency dental clinic in Denver. In the end, I asked myself "what would a badass like steve ovett do?" I had my answer but I need to get these wisdom teeth out!

Im looking forward for the next 4 weeks of training heading into Rotterdam rather than just hanging on like in the past. Today (March 15) was the Ides of March or the anniversary of the assasination of Julius Cesar. Id like to get up high (above 8,000ft) everday from now till Rotterdam. Today was day one of this protocol but the Switzerland trail was still covered in a foot of snow so the great Sammy Bair and myself hoofed through the snow at 8500 ft. The Switzerland is organic and beautiful. We loved every minute of the evenings 60 min run. In honor of Cesar, Shakespeare and the Ides of March and until next time... "Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come". Julius Caesar Quote (Act II, Scene II).

Carney blogs here.
 
ShareThis