Friday, April 9, 2010

Ron Hill

"I ran high mileage for all the seasons, but took a full month of low-key, active-rest running between seasons. I did well with 120 to 140 miles a week. If you're a good runner, you can run well at any distance with that kind of training. One fall, I went up to three workouts a day, and 156 miles a week, but then I ran a 2:15 at Fukuoka, so it didn't pay off. That was a lesson I learned. I liked to take about 10 weeks to build up to a major race.

I did one strange speed session on Tuesdays. I'd warm up with a run to the track, and then do two flying-start 440s in about 55 or 56 seconds. That gave me the confidence I needed if one of my races came down to a kick at the end. I knew I had enough speed. Otherwise, my speed work was just part of my run home on the roads and trails. [...]
I always told people the most important speed work was racing. I loved to race. In one mad period, I did 11 races in 21 days."

Full interview HERE. Instant classic, read it!
 
ShareThis