Monday, September 13, 2010

City of Lakes 25k

Minneapolis/St. Paul, Team Minnesota reports - Sept. 12, 2010 - Team USA Minnesota's Josh Moen and Michelle Frey won their respective divisions at the 29th edition of the City of Lakes 25k in Minneapolis today. Moen crossed the finish line in 1:18:59 (second place was 1:20:34) and Frey posted 1:31:16 (with the second female in 1:31:52). Both led their fields from start to finish and both set Minnesota state records for 28-year-olds.

"This was a workout for me," said Moen who averaged a 5:05 pace and is getting ready to run the USA Men's Marathon Championship at Twin Cities on Oct. 3. "For the most part, I felt comfortable throughout the race. It was good preparation for Twin Cities."

The race starts at the southwest corner of Lake Harriet and does a double loop on the streets around both Harriet and Lake Calhoun. Moen is no stranger to the lake trails and lives next to Lake Harriet. This was the first time he has run the City of Lakes 25k. "Even though I run around these two lakes quite a bit, it was different the whole time because I was in the street," said Moen. "It was a whole different perspective."

Frey said she had planned to start at a 6:05 pace and get faster as the race unfolded but instead went out at a 6-minute pace and averaged 5:52. "I was trying to do a progressive run and I was ahead of pace the entire time," she said. "I'm in the middle of training for a fall marathon so this was a 100-mile week for me. The only day I ran easy was the day before the race. I didn't really back off. My long runs have been going really well and this race is encouraging for how my training is going."
 
ShareThis