Friday, October 29, 2010

FRANKFURT MARATHON - Quotes from Leading Athletes at the Press Conference

VIA runnersweb.com

MEN

Wilson Kipsang (Kenya/2:07:10)
"I was very happy with my marathon debut in Paris. This race in Frankfurt will be a big challenge for me because the field is very strong. Some runners have faster times than me but that's also a challenge. I expect the race to be fast and have set three goals for myself: first of all, I want to run a personal best, then if possible get under the course record (2:06:14) and thirdly I would like to run under 2:06."

Tadese Tola (Ethiopia/2:06:41)
"My preparation has gone very well and I've been running between 180 and 200 kilometres a week in Addis Ababa. My goal is to run under 2:06, perhaps 2:05:30. The likelihood of being the only Ethiopian among a group of Kenyans doesn't bother me at all. Each runner will be trying to win. It's my 23rd birthday on Sunday and I hope I shall have something to celebrate."

Sylvester Teimet (Kenya/2:06:49)
"I had a cold a week ago but feel fine now and am fit and ready. I think that if the weather conditions are good, the course record can be broken. A half marathon split of between 62 and 63 minutes would suit me, that would not be a problem. The rivalry with the Ethiopians is good, we spur each other on and that keeps us running faster."

Wilfred Kigen (Kenya/2:07:33)
A hat-trick of Commerzbank Frankfurt Marathon wins to his credit
"This is the strongest field ever in Frankfurt. But that will be an advantage, it will spur all of us on. After two years of achilles tendon problems I'm now back on course to my best times. I want to run 2:08 on Sunday."

WOMEN

Agnes Kiprop (Kenya/2:26:22)
Defending Commerzbank Frankfurt Marathon champion
"My form isn't as good as last year because I had a calf problem a month ago. But I want to run a personal best on Sunday. I shan't start as quickly as the Ethiopians do. I plan to reach halfway in around 63 minutes. The women's field is very strong this year."

Dire Tune (Ethiopia/2:24:40)
"I want to run a fast time on my comeback to the marathon on Sunday. It's important to me and that's why I decided to run the fast Frankfurt course. Running the World Half Marathon Championships (Dire Tune finished second two weeks ago) was a good test for the marathon. I plan to run a half marathon split of between 70 and 70:30 minutes on Sunday."
 
ShareThis