Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Moses backs changes to athletics

American legend and multi-world record holder Edwin Moses has endorsed the cause for change in the world of track and field in an attempt to recapture its glory days.
"But to be honest, I think track and field was better in my day than what it is today. It was much more popular. I was much more widely watched on tele-vision and we had many more personalities. Today you can name two or three or four people. But when I was growing up you could name 20 stars. And everybody knew who they were," Moses told Gulf News on the sidelines of yesterday's Laureus Awards here.
"I think the slack or disinterest in athletics has got a lot to do with the personality of the athletes themselves. They do not engage with the public anymore as much as we did," Moses added.

READ ON...
 
ShareThis