Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Radcliff's return disasterous

The marathon world record-holder, competing in her first race in 18 months since the birth of her second child in September, had a more honest assessment of her disappointing third-place finish behind Jo Pavey and Gemma Steel.
“I wanted it to be a bit better than that,” she admitted. “For me, it was a bit of a disaster.”
The 10km road race finished in The Mall, the scene of Radcliffe’s three London Marathon triumphs, but there was little to celebrate for the 37 year-old as she crossed the line in 33 min 17 sec, some 55 seconds after Pavey, another distance-running mother, had broken the tape. The tears swiftly followed.
“I was just really gutted,” said Radcliffe. “I stopped and looked at the clock and knew I should be running a marathon quicker than that. It was not good at all.”

READ ON...
 
ShareThis