Saturday, February 21, 2015

I'm running!



If I miss a very early morning run here in Puerto Rico, I won't run all day. It's too hot. I'll go for a bike ride instead. This means I run about 4 times a week, max. an hour per run, which is weak. My overall fitness is definitely on the rise though thanks to riding and swimming.

A couple of days ago I couldn't get myself to run 400s on the track at 6am. By the time I got there, it was 10am and 90F. It took me two months to somewhat get used to this (beautiful!) heat so I even managed 8 reps. Legs were still shot from an 85 mile bike race with 9000 feet of climbing I did last Sunday. Funny enough my running has helped my cycling because I am more careful with body weight. I even won the race. Granted, competition was weak but a win is a win. Would be funny if my focus this year would be about running and yet I actually perform well in cycling and not running. 25 years of endurance training and no end to learning. Only constant is change.

Meanwhile my right leg is at 95% which is probably as good as it will ever be. I stretch and roll daily for 10 minutes which makes me proud.

All good things (read: summer weather) come to an end. Tuesday I'm headed to the Arctic FKA NYC. Sunday March 1 the legendary Coogans 5k is on the menu. It's likely going to be so cold that I won't be able to run in my racing flats because they have too many holes in the upper and, hence, are too cold.

If weather is your only concern...
 
ShareThis