Saturday, April 4, 2015

36:57


If you have been reading this blog closely in the last few weeks, you know that the title is not merely a race time. It's THE race time because now Markus has no further excuses to stay away from this place. When I started out, I asked him to re-join our Mzungo blog to write on his training and racing. We both plan to race NYC Marathon this fall and the Mzungo blog is supposed to serve as motivation. Just like back in 2009 when we got ready for our Iten, Kenya trip.

"Run a sub 37 10k and I'm in."

Funny that it seemed such an easy thing to do at the time. He clearly gauged my fitness better than I did though (unless he was certain that I can't even run that).

Was I happy with my race? No, of course not. In 2010 I ran this race in 33:10. You are right when you say that I was five years younger and actually trained at the time. Enough already.

I did, however, try a new pre race warmup: I played PacMan in Central Park p/b Google Maps. Worked like a charm.

If you want to read more from middle aged guys trying to defy nature (read: run a reasonable marathon), jump over to my buddy Sean's new blog. He's training for the Chicago Marathon and actually provides some data on his running "regime". He's also the founder of Central Park Coaching so you might learn a thing or two. You can find him here.
 
ShareThis