Sunday, June 7, 2015

Cramps


I've been lucky enough to never have had cramps when running. Actually, until this February, I never had cramps when doing any race until I got some in my quads towards the end of GFNY Puerto Rico, an 80 mile bike race. That day, I clearly went being my fitness to win the race so while it was a surprisingly new sensation, it was not surprising that I got them. Last week, at a 150k granfondo in Italy it happened again. I was very, very far from winning the race but I was even less prepared.

For what seems forever it has been suggested that cramps are the result of dehydration or a lack of electrolytes. As a firm believer in most things that Noakes explains, I long shared his view that it's simply a case of overexertion.

Read: you have been going faster than you muscles can handle.

Yes, again: cramps are not an excuse for a poor performance but a sign of too optimistic (read: wrong) pacing.

What you can do about it? Obviously train harder and/or better and pace more in line with your fitness.

Thank you Sean for this.


 
ShareThis