Tuesday, October 13, 2015

DNS


That freaking cold was worse than I had hoped and knocked me off my feet for four days. I've been scrambling my way back into running since but I had to give the Rock 'n' Roll Brooklyn Half a pass. Bummer because apart from a 30min. start delay, it apparently was a great race.

Running a half marathon two weeks before a marathon is risky but I feel I do need a good hit-out before I let myself loose on a marathon. Luckily we're living in the age of plenty also when it comes to run races so I opted for the Yonkers Half Marathon. It feels a bit shady to only run a half at such a storied race. Yonkers is USA's second oldest marathon after Boston. I ran the full shenanigans three years ago as a long run and really liked it. A bit of a sad finish line - I don't need much - but great going other than that.

Lidia asked me yesterday if I have a backup Marathon. Given how easily you can get a cold or niggle that kills any racing plans, it's a good idea to set up a backup marathon. Two to four weeks later seem a good time to me but that's certainly personal preference. The cancellation of the 2012 NYC Marathon turned the marathon world into a backup frenzy. Lidia and I were signed up as well but also had a backup in the Osaka Marathon (picture). It fit our plans for a business trip and we wanted to do it either way. Neither of us had a great race but it was a fantastic experience.

But no, I don't have a back-up marathon, mainly because we leave NYC for first the tropics (Cozumel) and then summer (Argentina) for a month. This means lots of cycling (for work). I could get back into serious run training starting mid December and run a January or February race but my wife is expecting in January so maybe, just maybe, priorities will be different. Or at least sleep will be optional.

Better finish NYC upright.
 
ShareThis