Thursday, November 25, 2010

Blog Roll - Jeff Hunt

Getting Back into it

It’s been a while since the last blog, but a bit of time away from everything was just what the doctor ordered. I feel re-energized since returning from my honeymoon, and look forward to what the future brings professionally and personally. It’s time for me to refocus and start training properly again after the recent events.

In the weeks after Delhi, I hardly ran at all. After ten days of no running, I started to jog around and boy was it tough. I ran a couple of times a week, but nothing structured. I went out for a run when I felt like it, which was about 3-4 times per week, building up to an hour over the week. None of those runs felt comfortable. I guess I didn’t realize how much my treatment helped me feel good until I didn’t have any for a few weeks while I jogged around. That won’t happen again.

In my first "structured" week, I ran 16km every day, followed by a 1hr 45min run on Sunday. Each day was better than the last, so I knew my body was ready to get back into it. I felt ok enough to help out Roffy and Nipper at the NSW 3000m on the Saturday night, pacing them through the opening kilometre in 2:35. It felt controlled, but I was running out of my skin keeping on pace. Being able to do that means my body must be in pretty good nick, and it helps with confidence getting back into training.

From there, I had a pretty solid week of training, topping out at around 150km for the week. I will have another week at 150km before getting to my usual 170km+ from next week. I have no major race plans until the New Year... at this stage. I have no reason to rush into racing, so I won’t be lining up for the Zatopek:10. It’s disappointing that I won’t be able to run the last Zatopek at Olympic Park, but I don’t want to go there and put in a mediocre performance.

I’m looking forward to the annual trip to Falls Creek, which is a about a month away. It’s always a good trip, and I never want to miss it. Quality training over a solid 4 weeks helps to lay a great foundation for the season ahead. Everything going well, I hope to have a good summer season.
 
ShareThis