Monday, June 8, 2009

Mike Barnow: ‘generous’ isn’t a strong enough word for him

After reading an article in VillageVoice, I was keen to help Mike Barnow and his speedy Africans living in the Bronx. He immediately invited me to a training session with the guys. I politely refused as I was not too keen to be dropped during the first few minutes of a run. Thinking about for a while though, I changed my mind. Why the heck not?
A few weeks later, on a grey Wednesday morning in early spring, I found myself lining up in the Bronx aside Mike Barnow's runners. They were all legs and I was all elephant. Turned out they did a moderate tempo run that I could handle by going almost all out at the end.

But who is Mike Barnow? Read this neat article about him.
I always enjoy bumping into him at races and he urges me to come back for another session.
I definitely will.
 
ShareThis